PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Knives that blow you away, every time

j man
25-02-2011, 20:35
Knives i sharpen that just blow me away every time i shapen them would have to be Svord knives.
I love this L6 Swedish steel that Bryan Baker uses and heat treats.
A couple of swipes on the Sharpmaker and the strop on card board with Autosol, unreal.

This steel and stroping method (thanks to Carl) brings them up so sharp i can split hair. So easy too. :thumbup:
The edge hold along time and just a wipe on my leather waist belt brings them straight back.

They may not be a Lovless build standard but when things need cutting they are my work knives every time.

So gang what blades blow your mind every time you sharpen and sit back and say "Thats a Knife"????
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/justintassie/SANY0030.jpg

Antonio_Luiz
25-02-2011, 20:43
If only their fit and finish matched their performance - and price

j man
25-02-2011, 20:50
If only their fit and finish matched their performance - and price

Yes that is very true. Great designs though. But when its raining and getting dark and you have a deer to clean up looks fit & finish mean nothing. Performance is every thing. I have seen other knives production and custom which are no better finished or any cheaper than Svord knives.

I have some nice knives to babby and show off . These Svords are my go to Hunting knives . Have a couple of Puma's which tag along most of the time also.

Whats the knife suprise you when you sharpen it??

radz
25-02-2011, 21:27
I've got a Edge Pro Apex and find that gets a very nice edge.

Its takes awhile but requires very little skill.

Stewart Townsend
25-02-2011, 21:41
Whats the knife suprise you when you sharpen it??

Basically any Carl has sharpened. :thumbup:

Bit of a Jedi with the sharpening. :thumbup:

Still a Padawan with making knives though. :thumbdn:

He doesn't listen closely to his Jedi Master about making them. :thumbdn: (Not enough thumbs down, need about 5 more)

Redtail
01-03-2011, 16:20
+1 on the Apex
Useless for convex edges, though.

I'm always surprised by the way my Barkies come up after a strop on a JRE strop bat. But then, I'm easily impressed?

crossroads
01-03-2011, 23:57
[quote="j man":21bigawf]Whats the knife suprise you when you sharpen it??

Basically any Carl has sharpened. :thumbup:

Bit of a Jedi with the sharpening. :thumbup:

Still a Padawan with making knives though. :thumbdn:

He doesn't listen closely to his Jedi Master about making them. :thumbdn: (Not enough thumbs down, need about 5 more)[/quote:21bigawf]

Ouch... Carl's a sharpening champ, and his knives ain't that bad either.

As for knives, I really dig my Queen 1095 Canoe. The thinness of the blade makes it phenomenally easy to get razor sharp.

bcmolin
06-03-2011, 11:53
If I ever learned to sharpen a knife I'd loose my major reason to continue buying new knives, especially folders.

Have owned but not used a Spyderco Sharpmarker for over 16 months and it remains untouched in its box except for an initial setup as per the directions so as to determine how it worked.

Maybe one day I will sum up the courage to give it a try? Or not!

gajinoz
06-03-2011, 12:10
If I ever learned to sharpen a knife I'd loose my major reason to continue buying new knives, especially folders.

Have owned but not used a Spyderco Sharpmarker for over 16 months and it remains untouched in its box except for an initial setup as per the directions so as to determine how it worked.

Maybe one day I will sum up the courage to give it a try? Or not!

Sharpmaker is great for touching up knives if you already have the edges at 30 or 40 but you're going to be there a long long time if you try and reprofile, unless you have the diamond rods or wrap sandpaper around the normal rods.

If you want a good reprofiler get yourself an Edgepro or, if you want something a little less expensive, get a DMT Deluxe Aligner kit. I have one and use it all the time. Ron can get them for you.

I've set mine up with a couple of other bits into a sort of on-the-go knife care kit.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/gajinoz/BFC2/kkit1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/gajinoz/BFC2/kkit2.jpg

gajinoz
06-03-2011, 15:23
As far as sharp knives go, I think the two that impress me the most are the Sebenza and the BM Mini Grip. For some reason I find they sharpen up really nicely, literally shaving sharp and yet retain that edge remarkably well.

bcmolin
07-03-2011, 15:04
If you want a good reprofiler get yourself an Edgepro or, if you want something a little less expensive, get a DMT Deluxe Aligner kit. I have one and use it all the time. Ron can get them for you.
[/quote]

Appreciate the info, thanks gajinoz. :thumbup:

The geek in me wants the Apex Model Edge Pro but the savings presented by the DMT would allow an extra knife or two to be purchased for 'learning only' purposes! ;)

HandofCod
10-03-2011, 18:10
Anyone else find sharpening knives really relaxing?

I sharpen my knives as a stress relief after work - or oil them, or fondle them. My gf thinks something is seriously sus.

gajinoz
10-03-2011, 18:21
Anyone else find sharpening knives really relaxing?

I sharpen my knives as a stress relief after work - or oil them, or fondle them. My gf thinks something is seriously sus.

It's exactly the same for me. This is one of the reasons I don't get one of those paper wheels that everyone raves about. I'm sure they're terrific but I like to sit there for a while slowly getting the edge I want. Mental therapy.

Bizarrely, back in the days when I had to clean out stables it was much the same sort of thing. Bit more strenuous than knife sharpening but repetitive
stuff where the brain could go elsewhere.

warrigal
12-03-2011, 17:07
Thanks for the nice comments fellas.
Gaijin I agree with the mind zone of sharpening and funnily enough I count Mowing in that as well.
I started sharpening for others somewhere around ten ( probably more because I wanted to and others did't want to)
BC, man get that Spyderco out of the box read the destructions, watch the link ( best looking bloke on the web)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yVN9lLVPM4
As stated it can take awhile to reprofile the first time you use a knife on it but only that first time ( or if you let it go a bit)
BUT MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE RODS CLEAN
Carl

Antonio_Luiz
12-03-2011, 23:45

Appreciate the info, thanks gajinoz. :thumbup:

The geek in me wants the Apex Model Edge Pro but the savings presented by the DMT would allow an extra knife or two to be purchased for 'learning only' purposes! ;)[/quote]

I often sharpen knives for relaxation - even if they don't need them - usually after I've had a few extra-tough shifts at work. It's very hard in my job to cut it off when I walk out that Gate and the need for concentration and hand-eye coordination to avoid injury and also produce positive results really helps focus the mind away from the oxygen-thieving idiots I contend with at work. I like to use whetstones on my better knives, but can't justify using them to repair and sharpen the majority of budget knives I fixup for people - for them it's a combination of RadiusMaster and PaperWheels.

The Edge Pro is great if you want precise angles, but I prefer the convenience and simplicity of full-size whetstones since precise angles aren't usually critical to me, except on the single-side bevel Japanese knives I use; and these have wide enough bevels that it is relatively easy to maintain the angle without a guide. This may be the ultimate EdgePro kit http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edge-pro-sharpener.html

Chosera whetstones are one of the most highly rated of the synthetic waterstones, but not worth the investment if you don't also have knives that merit their use.

bcmolin
13-03-2011, 19:48
BC, man get that Spyderco out of the box read the destructions, watch the link ( best looking bloke on the web)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yVN9lLVPM4
Carl

Carl, it was your vid that inspired me to get the Sharpmaker in the first place! :thumbup:

Truly guess it is a case of been afraid that I will either stuff up the knife I'm trying to sharpen for the first time (yes I know to use an old blade that has little value rather than my Townsend #77) or the sharpening rods.

OK, I'll put it in writing ... will give it a try this week, no excuses. :o :oops:

warrigal
17-03-2011, 07:33
Bruce how did you go?
Carl

bcmolin
17-03-2011, 13:48
Bruce how did you go?
Carl

The week is not up yet... :oops:

Looking at Saturday at the latest.

At least I have decided which knife I will make my first attempt upon: a Chinese made 5inch kitchen utility knife. :?:

Antonio_Luiz
19-03-2011, 14:46
Bruce how did you go?
Carl

At least I have decided which knife I will make my first attempt upon: a Chinese made 5inch kitchen utility knife. :?:

Great to practice on, but in my experience with these, there's no real gain in going beyond 600 grit - yes, you will refine the edge but those knives seems to dull even if you cut nothing more than a sunbeam with it :(

bcmolin
19-03-2011, 15:27
Bruce how did you go?
Carl

Antonio, where has the week gone?

OK, it is Saturday arvo, and no, I have not even got the Sharpmaker out of its storage box let alone set it up. :(

Did I imply 'this' Saturday or 'some' Saturday? :o

With the V8's on tv now plus having to answer emails and make posts, it will now be Sunday.

But I'm not implying which Sunday. :?