+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie WW2 Machetes

Thanks

Aussie WW2 Machetes

Just wanted to share my two machetes from this era and ask some questions. Feel free to add yours to this thread.

Firstly, the all important pics:

Now, some questions:
    Firstly, did the Whittingsglowe ever come with a sheath? If so, what am I looking for?

Secondly, the Scott Trojan came with this sheath, but the Flook's book is showing a different (canvas) one. Any ideas if this could've been issued with it or simply married up afterwards? Also, does anyone have any more info on Scott's - where were they made, what else did they make?
    Australian Knifemakers Guild - Show Committee
    Honorary Member

Thanks
    Also, just realised that the Scott's featured in Flooks (plate 375) is shown with the handle rivets on the left side, but on mine, the washers are on the RHS. Just worth noting...
    Honorary Member

Thanks

Exclamation Nice

Hi KK

Lovely example of the Scott Trojan machete.

Scott Trojan Pty Ltd were a Victorian firm. Produced gardening tools, slashers, scythes, hatchets, shears, knives, scissors and chisels. I have a hatchet marked Trojan as my field axe. The rivets on the example in my collection had a more rounded head as against the flat rivets on yours.

It is my understanding that a leather scabbard came with the machetes initially and then changed over to canvas at some stage during the war. So either is correct.

I have yet to find a scabbard for the WE machete or even get any idea what they may have looked like. I know that these machetes were used during WW2. I have information that places them at Shaggy Ridge in New Guinea. I am very interested in whether the coating on yours is a result of weathering or was a man made protective coating. The former owner could not answer that. Hopefully you will be able to answer that one.

The WE machetes turn up with different markings on them. Some have D/l\D on the blade under the word Adelaide. Yours does not. This does not mean that it did not end up seeing service.

This same shaped machete was also made by at least one other Australian manufacturer, Barker Bros who I believe were based in Melbourne.

Regards Dutchy
    Collector

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
    Plato (427-347 BC)

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

"The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern: every class is unfit to govern."
    Lord Acton (18341902)

dutchy357@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanks Dutchy,
    A few interesting points there.

Firstly, I am almost certain that the WE machete has a black coating and almost undoubtably from the factory. This makes a stright line to just shy of 1/2" from the cutting edge (which is now heavily oxidised). Mine also has lost some of that coating from the tip which must have been used to "spear" something in the past. It appears thin in most places, but in other areas especially around the ricasso area, is still quite thick (lumpy).

Now one more interesting point on this machete and coating. In some places of the uncoated 1/2" (near cutting edge), are remenants of a bright silver "coating" in places. These stand out in cotrast to the rest of the oxidised metal edge, one is clearly visible just below the makers mark near the handle (in the above photos). Could this have been some sort of nickel plating? Would also explain why the black coating wasn't applied to the whole balde. Does yours have similar "silver splotches"?

On the Scott, the blade is uniformly oxidised with a lovely patina, yet the body of the blade is not flat but appears to be covered in "hammer marks":

Also, the sheath has two large arrows crudely scribed into it. I wasn't able to capture these in my innitial photos, I think the meaning for these may never be known but form part of it's story:

Also, here is the photo of the back of the rivets on this blade:

Almost appear as nuts imbedded in the timber, which would ofcourse make the rivets bolts (mine are flat headed). Any thoughts on this?
    Honorary Member

Thanks
    I have a Scott Trojan vintage brush hook. LOL so they made Brush hooks too !

Thanks

Exclamation The search goes on!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeKnut View Post
    Firstly, I am almost certain that the WE machete has a black coating and almost undoubtably from the factory.
    Thank you for that. Seems reasonable to provide some protection for a steel implement headed for the Tropical Jungles!

Could this have been some sort of nickel plating? Would also explain why the black coating wasn't applied to the whole balde. Does yours have similar "silver splotches"?
    Neither of the WE machetes that I have show any sign of a Nickel Plating, nor does the Barker. I doubt that they would part plate a blade. Nickel plating is an Electrolytical process and I would have thought that were they doing it that plating the whole blade would be easier!

On the Scott, the blade is uniformly oxidised with a lovely patina, yet the body of the blade is not flat but appears to be covered in "hammer marks":
    Probably part of the forging process. Speed of production in the early part of the war would have had a higher requirement than finish. I would venture that servicability was the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbles View Post
    I have a Scott Trojan vintage brush hook. LOL so they made Brush hooks too !
    Scott Trojan probabaly made a whole lot of other things. I think that many items have been overlooked because people were just not aware of them therefore did not seek them.

The main reason that I have a Trojan hatchet was because I was aware of the name from the machete in my collection.

Regards Dutchy
    Collector

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
    Plato (427-347 BC)

Napoleon Bonaparte

"The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern: every class is unfit to govern."
    Lord Acton (18341902)

dutchy357@gmail.com

Thanks

The old "hole in the handle trick."

I have noticed that some WE machetes have a hole in the handle, do you think this added later?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WEGS3 View Post
    I have noticed that some WE machetes have a hole in the handle, do you think this added later?
    Hi WEGS

It is my understanding that all the WE machetes have a wrist strap hole. Both of the machetes in my collection that still have their original handles have holes. The blade without handles still has a hole in the tang in the appropriate place. Do you have images of one that doesn't??

Dutchy
    Collector

Plato (427-347 BC)

Napoleon Bonaparte

Lord Acton (18341902)

dutchy357@gmail.com

Thanks
    Dutchy, Looks like this one has been re-gripped.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WEGS3 View Post
    Dutchy, Looks like this one has been re-gripped.
    Hi Wegs

I think you are correct.

The saving grace is that it has been done very well.

I have one that was re gripped with a Double handed grip. Now that I have taken it off it has no grip. When I get replica grips added, I hope it looks as good as yours.

Dutchy
    Collector

Plato (427-347 BC)

Napoleon Bonaparte

Lord Acton (18341902)

dutchy357@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast