PDA

View Full Version : RAN Non Magnetic Divers Knife

Dutchy357
04-05-2015, 19:46
Hi Guys

I will start this sub forum off one that some of the Pussers among us may have seen.

It's a former RAN Non Magnetic Divers Knife. It doe not have a makers mark on it, so a bit of research is necessary. As you can see it has a stores number and Non Magnetic engraved on it.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/Dutchy357/Forums/ABF/Military%20Monday/randiving_zpsxfsc2acg.jpg

It's a brute of a knife.

Overall length: 338 mm (13 5/16")

Blade: 198 mm (7 3/4") long by 34 mm (1 5/8") wide 5.7 mm (.225")

Weight: 410 gm (14.6 oz)

Unfortunately, I don't have the sheath that it would have once had.

Dutchy

Dutchy357
05-05-2015, 17:04
Hi Guys

Since posting this yesterday I have carried out a bit of research and have confirmed my suspicions that this knife is by Siebe Gorman.

I found an identical knife on English diving knifes (http://www.divingheritage.com/knifesengland.htm)

Dutchy

camel
13-05-2015, 09:42
I seem to remember seeing a knife exactly like that one. Was the diving knife used on TRV801, which was a Torpedo Recovery Vessel, that I was part of the crew on. Good you found some info mate. Interesting knife.

camel
23-12-2017, 19:28
G'day Dutchy357, long time no log in, hows it going mate. Thread revival. Saw an interesting thing on a movie on the idiot box this evening while watching The Guns of Navarone, in one scene where they had just climbed up the cliff after landing, one of the fellas was carving a stick, looked like it was for a walking stick, and he was using this very same knife. Thought you might have been interested.

Mark

Dutchy357
26-12-2017, 17:41
G'day Dutchy357, long time no log in, hows it going mate. Thread revival. Saw an interesting thing on a movie on the idiot box this evening while watching The Guns of Navarone, in one scene where they had just climbed up the cliff after landing, one of the fellas was carving a stick, looked like it was for a walking stick, and he was using this very same knife. Thought you might have been interested.

Mark

Hi Mark

Good to see you back here. :)

Didn't watch that film. Was on another channel. Not quite the knife one would expect to use for whittling. I will keep my eyes open for it next time it is on.

BTW, I am still on the lookout for a correct sheath for the above knife.

Regards Dutchy