PDA

View Full Version : RAN Deck knife

Dutchy357
07-09-2015, 21:47
Hi

Here is little something for all the Pusser's on the forum for Military Monday!

A recent RAN Deck Knife.

Complete absence of makers marks and any form of identification. The only indication that it is a service item is the words Department of Defence on the slip cover. This is unfortunately only light cardboard and I doubt would last long on shipboard.

Overall length: 267 mm
Blade length: 140 mm
Blade thickness: 4.4 mm
Blade material: Stainless Steel

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/Dutchy357/Collection/navy/randeckknife_zpsgnjlyldi.jpg

Regards Dutchy

camel
22-09-2015, 16:29
Hey Dutchy, we used very similar to those in the 70's and 80's, commonly called "Boom Knives", at a guess I would say because they were carried by the Deck Apes when climbing out on a boom. From memory they were stainless but very soft, took an edge but didn't have much in the way of edge holding qualities.

Dutchy357
22-09-2015, 16:56
Hey Dutchy, we used very similar to those in the 70's and 80's, commonly called "Boom Knives", at a guess I would say because they were carried by the Deck Apes when climbing out on a boom. From memory they were stainless but very soft, took an edge but didn't have much in the way of edge holding qualities.

Thanks Camel!

I'll remember that when I update my web page.

Dutchy

Tarrabah
23-09-2015, 22:04
were carried by the Deck ApesHey!, I resemble that remark:D, yeah that's pretty much how I remember them too.

Dutchy, in your description you have 4.4mm blade thickness, is that right???, my old style Boom knife was probably around 2 or 3mm?(it was bloody years ago), and one of the differences that cheesed us all off over the newly issued POS Butcher knife was it's thickness, the old versions were flexible, which was great when we were stripping paint off bollards and other round stuff, the new ones made a bad job even worse.

Mark Sinclair
24-09-2015, 02:28
here's a couple of pic's Dutchy of one that was issued to me '82 , Roymac Japan
It had a straight handle and larger pins than the example you have shown and from memory the blade thickness is only around 3mm as Scott suggested.
the cutting edge was originally straight but has seen a lot of use and was only retired recently about 2011 , the cord wrap was added for grip

i can get you some blade specs if required when i get ashore in a couple more weeks

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii609/AussieBosun/NavyDeckTang.jpg
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii609/AussieBosun/NavyDeck.jpg

Dutchy357
02-10-2015, 23:41
Dutchy, in your description you have 4.4mm blade thickness, is that right???, my old style Boom knife was probably around 2 or 3mm?(it was bloody years ago).

Sorry for the delay with getting back.

And the answer is!!

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/Dutchy357/Forums/ABF/misc/measure_zpsikerar7j.jpg

It is slightly thicker towards the handle.

Tarrabah
04-10-2015, 15:14
Damn, that's way too thick, it would be a bitch for stripping paint, levering up deck tread, and any one of a hundred jobs we'd use Boom knives for, thinner was always better.

meno
04-10-2015, 16:49
What an absolute shit knife Dutchy and a paper sheath with sticky tape on it?? Your got to be joking. And issued to our " Senior Service " Pussers thats just not right. Although I must sat say at least they got a knife all we got was that awful useless SLR bayonet.
cheers meno

Dutchy357
04-10-2015, 19:30
Damn, that's way too thick, it would be a bitch for stripping paint, levering up deck tread, and any one of a hundred jobs we'd use Boom knives for, thinner was always better.

Gee Mate

What makes you think that suitability for task, durability or any user requirement comes in to the acquisition process?

My money is on a Bean Counter somewhere who is buying the cheapest piece of kit that loosely fits the requirements!!

Tarrabah
04-10-2015, 21:03
Gee Mate

What makes you think that suitability for task, durability or any user requirement comes in to the acquisition process?

My money is on a Bean Counter somewhere who is buying the cheapest piece of kit that loosely fits the requirements!!Your absolutely right Dutchy, we should probably be thankful that it at least "looks" something like what we were used too:facepalm:

https://juantadeo.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/a-long-time-ago-in-a-galaxy-far-far-away.jpg

Dutchy357
04-10-2015, 21:30
What an absolute shit knife Dutchy and a paper sheath with sticky tape on it?? Your got to be joking. And issued to our " Senior Service " Pussers thats just not right. Although I must sat say at least they got a knife all we got was that awful useless SLR bayonet.
cheers meno

Meno

You overlooked the the staples! Obviously put there at great expense to improve the durability of the cover. :D

Dutchy

julius
25-09-2016, 20:22
hey these are Chinese made . no sheath is rather cheeky hahah put in the pocket? . shows you how much the government cares . !! i picked up abunch of old tools yesterday at a market. there was some knives one was a british carbon steel deck knife minus sheath and steel. same pattern as this , ill clean it and see if its australian issue.. its very dirty..