PDA

View Full Version : Jet Pilots Survival Knife

Dutchy357
26-10-2015, 19:04
Hi Guys

The Jet Pilots Knife survival knife. Came in to service in 1957 as an Escape/Survival knife for US Air Crew. It was originally made with a 6" blade which was shortened to a 5" blade that was more convenient in the confines of an aircraft cabin. They were made by several US makers.

These knives soon proved to be very popular with soldiers as well. Many copies of them have been made for the Private Purchase and civilian market.

These knives have seen service with the Australian Army and the RAAF and were an issue item in the 80's. The Army issue appears to have been centered around Adventure training and were only issued for specific purposes. I believe that the RAAF ones were part of an Aircrafts Escape/Survival gear. I am pretty certain that Australian troops in Vietnam would have also used these knives but they would have been Private Purchase.

I would be interested to hear if they were also used by the RAN. I am sure that they would have been a useful tool for Landing Parties.

One thing that the Australian Military has been continually deficient on has been the general issue of a suitable Utility knife for all soldiers.

I am aware of knives by Camillus and Ontario being issued to Australians.

This particular knife was issued to a Defence Force member for use on a Survival course.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/Dutchy357/Forums/ABF/Military%20Monday/DSC_0548_zps6pu9fpdu.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/Dutchy357/Forums/ABF/Military%20Monday/DSC_0545_zpsg0yayhmj.jpg

Any comments or additional information appreciated.

Regards Dutchy

Tarrabah
26-10-2015, 19:46
Pussers phased out Boarding and Landing parties when I came through in the mid 80's, Dutchy, it was far easier for a Steel Warship to "bump" into any...... undesirables:facepalm:,

So you'd need to talk to a really OLD Pusser, I'm sure the Bos'n is around here somewhere:D:tongue:.

Cool knife though, but being the 80's, most blokes I knew who bought there own, went for the Rambo hollow handle tool kit style, I already had a large Bowie built into my Gun belt hidden behind my Boomer:cool:

whitey
26-10-2015, 21:34
I have a couple of the Ontario versions one being brand new, RAAF issued part of survival kit.

This is the only photo I have at the moment.

Dutchy357
26-10-2015, 22:37
G'day whitey

Thanks for that info.

I assume that was a personal issue and not part of an aircraft CES?

Regards Dutchy

Mark Sinclair
26-10-2015, 23:12
sorry Dutchy i can't offer any help other than i never seen one while i was in.

Scott , i gotta have a beer with you one day

whitey
27-10-2015, 10:40
G'day whitey

Thanks for that info.

I assume that was a personal issue and not part of an aircraft CES?

Regards Dutchy

Yes I believe it was personal issue but not 100% sure, I got mine from a RAAF mate.:)
I didn't see em use them much when we acted as enemy in Paluma for their rainforest survival training. As part of an Infantry platoon we had great pleasure hunting them down and taking them as POW.:D
Anyway took a couple more snaps, the top one has been beaten up a bit and I've lost the sheath so that will be a future project. The bottom one has never been used and needs a bit of TLC.

Chris in Melbourne
27-10-2015, 19:21
Dutchy,

I was posted to 72 EW Sqn from 1985-89 in Cabarlah, Queensland.

I found a 13 figure stock number for these knives and a mate in the Q Store ordered some and actually got them!

I got two. Both were Camilus if I remember correctly. I foolishly gave them to two mates in the Victoria Police BCI whom I met while doing an Analyst Course in Melbourne in 1989.

Wish I still had them!

My favourite knife which I carried on my webbing was a Camilus made K Bar. I got mine from a US Marine while on exchange in Hawaii in '83.

Kind regards

Chris

Chris in Melbourne
30-10-2015, 03:20
Yes I believe it was personal issue but not 100% sure, I got mine from a RAAF mate.:)
I didn't see em use them much when we acted as enemy in Paluma for their rainforest survival training. As part of an Infantry platoon we had great pleasure hunting them down and taking them as POW.:D
Anyway took a couple more snaps, the top one has been beaten up a bit and I've lost the sheath so that will be a future project. The bottom one has never been used and needs a bit of TLC.

Hi Whitey,

Reading your post about rainforest survival training and acting as enemy reminded me of an experience I had.

In 1981 I was involved as 'enemy' searching for RAAF/RAN aircrew on escape & evasion survival training at a place north of Townsville called Blue Water. I hope I've remembered that correctly.

Anyhow, over several days my team 'captured' several groups of 2 or 3 aircrew. While I don't recall what bladeware they were carrying, I vividly recall capturing a friend I had gone to school with 4 years earlier in Perth, WA. He had joined the RAN as a Huey pilot. It was a fun moment to see and recognise each other and 'catch up' so to speak.

Amazingly, only months earlier I had seen a photo of him in the left seat of his Huey in the Sinai Desert in an article on ADF peacekeepers in an Australasian Post Magazine while getting a haircut at Lavarack Baracks! It's a small world.

Hmmm, wish I still had my hair.....

Regards

Chris

whitey
30-10-2015, 09:29
place north of Townsville called Blue Water. I hope I've remembered that correctly.

Bluewater sounds right, I know it's a suburb that backs onto the paluma range national park. I use to do a lot of trial riding up forestry road into the park, seen a few abandon huts.