PDA

View Full Version : A weary old soldier, now in retirement.

Dutchy357
01-02-2016, 23:16
I picked this relic up several years ago at a clearing sale on a local farm. I wasn't sure what it was at the time. I now believe it was a US or Canadian Collins Bolo type machete. How it ended up on the farm I will never know.

It has certainly had a hard life since WW2. The blade has been shortened. I will never know it this was done during its war service or as a result of abuse on the farm where somehow, someone managed to break it. I has been belted with a hammer to baton through something. Sadly now in poor condition. It certainly deserved better treatment that what it has had.

I recently came across the old soldier at the bottom of a drawer where it had been put long ago.

Time to give it a bit of a cleanup and tighten the loose grip. I will then put it in the boat for use as a bait knife where it can still have the dignity of some occasional useful work.

I know, I am just a sentimental old fool!!

Dutchy

Qwertypassword
19-02-2016, 10:13
Looking at an interesting old artefact , like this converted machete certainly stirs the imagination & gets one wondering about its past . When I see an item like this , I often think of a work of historical fiction by 'Hallet Shueard' ,' Nemesis , Murder on the Southern Seas' its a great read . I think from memory it is inspired by an old Dutch bottle , dating to the 1600's that Hallet found along the coast near Port Adelaide ? Wonderful story about 1800's South Australia & Tasmania . I wonder what stories this old machete could reveal ? Maybe it was shortened for use as a hand to hand weapon ? Maybe it has never spilled blood in anger , but sliced into a good few bush meals ? Qwerty.