PDA

View Full Version : Naval Jack Knife

Ozbiker73
28-03-2016, 20:37
What are the markings my guess is Indian, but a possibility that its Sheffield made. Beast of a knife but seems a little less well made than the normal clasp knives of this era. What do you think.

Markus
03-04-2016, 20:39
The pins look a little small. It's had a lot of pitting, but given the age it's understandable. All depends on where it was stored & how is was looked after. My Grandfather brought one back of WW2. We still used it up until 1990! It's certainly a great artefact. I love them ;)

Dutchy357
03-04-2016, 21:42
Hi Ozbiker

Your clasp knife is a WW2 British pattern Army Clasp Knife.

The Navy was issued a different pattern, the Royal Navy or RN pattern.

However your clasp knife was not made in Britain. It was made in India. This can be clearly identified as the checkering on the scales has been done by hand and is uneven. The British WW2 knives had scales cast in black bexoid (an early plastic) and are uniform. India turned out huge amounts of bladeware during the war, largely from a country that had no heavy industry. The quality varied from excellent (would have challenged Sheffield made) to rough as guts (but serviceable).

Not many people realise that many of the British Army units that fought in WW2 particularly in the Middle East were Indian.

Hope that helps.

Dutchy

Ozeboy
04-04-2016, 09:28
Dutchy, your pix above is exactly the same as my knife issued Royal Australian Navy to National Service Ratings 1953/1954 at Balmoral. I served on HMAS Murchison, HMAS Sydney, HMAS Vengence and HMAS Tactician (Sub). You will notice nearly everything came purchased or on loan from the UK so I think the knife may have come from the same source. The spike was a must for rope splicing. We carried them on a double loop end lanyard from our belts, definitely too rough andheavy to have in a pocket.

Dutchy357
04-04-2016, 10:40
Hi Ozeboy

Thank you for that. Nothing like witness testimony! You don't happen to still have that knife do you?

Here is photo of some Pommy Pussers at work wearing the clasp knife as you described.

The RN pattern clasp knife went out of service with the Brits around 1986 and I suspect about the same time here.

The current "Pussers Dirk" is the same stainless steel clasp knife that is now issued to all 3 services.

Dutchy

Ozeboy
04-04-2016, 13:15
Yes! Dutchy I still have it somewhere in the shed. It was neglected over many years but partially cleaned up last year and covered with Penetrene.

I should have looked after it better because everything else kept to remind me of life in the Navy has been eaten by the moths or just lost.

I think that double ended loop lanyard was every new recruits first splicing job.

I'm still alive at 82 despite all the ships interior sprayed with asbestos which has resulted in many deaths since.

Ozeboy
06-04-2016, 08:57
I found the knife branded what appears to be Harrison Sheffield. The lanyard is still there, a little worse for a lot of wear but it is a real keeper as is.

Dutchy357
06-04-2016, 10:43
I found the knife branded what appears to be Harrison Sheffield. The lanyard is still there, a little worse for a lot of wear but it is a real keeper as is.

Well!

Where are the pictures??

Tarrabah
06-04-2016, 11:59
I should have looked after it better because everything else kept to remind me of life in the Navy has been eaten by the moths or just lost.I know what you mean, Ozeboy, all I have left is my Pussers issue bush hat, and rusty side cutter pliers(which still get used most days), I've lost all my other gear, and perhaps worst of all, about 80-90% of my photo's are gone:(.

Cool old photo, Dutchy:thup:, I don't miss Fo'c'sle party though, those cables were nasty to deal with:eek:

KarlK
26-03-2018, 16:27
I have one issued 1967 it should have a lozenge on right hand side with the sailors name stamped into it.