PDA

View Full Version : Buck M9

KnifeKnut
27-06-2016, 16:51
My latest addition to the military collection.
Issued and used (as it should've been)! :cool:

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n566/Knife_Knut/military/IMG_2884_zpsvurpo8aq.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/Knife_Knut/media/military/IMG_2884_zpsvurpo8aq.jpg.html)
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n566/Knife_Knut/military/IMG_2887-3_zpsl48yomi5.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/Knife_Knut/media/military/IMG_2887-3_zpsl48yomi5.jpg.html)

Mike_v_86
27-06-2016, 17:03
Very cool
And very jealous! Good scote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Courthouse Tactical
08-08-2016, 10:07
Great example, I Want one!

Chris in Melbourne
08-08-2016, 16:29
.....and used (as it should've been)...

Given it's a bayonet, do you mean it's been used for the old 'In-Out, En Guard!'?

Nice piece by the way, I'm green with envy'

Thanks for posting pics!

Regards

Chris

098steve
25-10-2017, 21:36
Given it's a bayonet, do you mean it's been used for the old 'In-Out, En Guard!'?

Nice piece by the way, I'm green with envy'

Thanks for posting pics!

Regards

Chris

Sorry for digging up an old post but I've only just found "Military Monday" and have been having a look around. I had one of these back in the day and loved it, but they really weren't very well made. There is an allen bolt in the end and if you undo it and pull the handle off you will find that the tang is about 2cm long! We used to use them for bayonet training when they were first issued but they broke at an alarming rate so (in the usual fashion for the Army), instead of fixing the problem they just prohibited the use of these for bayonet training and made us use the old M16 bayonets instead. We also weren't allowed to call these bayonets, but had to call them "fighting knives". Rumour had it that it was against the Geneva Conventions to have a sawtooth back on a bayonet (not actually true) but to avoid any tough questions on the issue the Army just called it a fighting knife instead of a bayonet. These were also a "controlled item" meaning that if you lost it you would be charged and fined. Given the markings on this one it was indeed on issue to somebody in C Coy (can't tell which battalion) so they probably paid a high price for losing it before it eventually made its way to you KnifeKnut,

Dutchy357
27-10-2017, 10:23
Sorry for digging up an old post

Hi Steve

It's never too late to add to an old thread. In fact, it is better to add to an old thread than start a new one on the same subject.

The more we find out about the knives we collect the more enjoyment we get out of our hobby!

Dutchy

098steve
29-10-2017, 11:59
Hi Steve

It's never too late to add to an old thread.

Thanks Dutchy,

I was digging around for something else this morning and found these. M9 Buck (with a blued blade as issued to the US Army), M16 and SLR bayonet. The M9's that were issued to the Yanks seemed far better quality than the Australian issue ones. Not sure if you can see it in the second photo but the markings are slightly different than in the OP.

KnifeKnut
29-10-2017, 21:03
Not an expert on US bayonets, but I’m pretty certain that the one you have there is not Buck. Buck had the initial contract but afterwards there were a number of manufacturers involved including “Lan-Cay” which is one you have. There were also some sold as civilian knives

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True Talon
29-10-2017, 21:14
I have an original unused Buck M9 I purchased years ago from Smiths Sports store in Sydney (for a long time THE best gun store in Sydney).

It's buried away in storage along with a bunch of other old knives like a "Buckmaster" briefly used by the Navy SEALs - God knows why I bought that clunker (although I was more into military style knives back then)

098steve
29-10-2017, 21:24
Not an expert on US bayonets, but I’m pretty certain that the one you have there is not Buck. Buck had the initial contract but afterwards there were a number of manufacturers involved including “Lan-Cay” which is one you have. There were also some sold as civilian knives

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, now the penny has dropped. I had never heard of Lan-cay and it never occurred to be that it was the manufacturer. Thanks for solving that mystery for me.