PDA

View Full Version : Schrade Multi Tool Australian Defence Force Model (POS)

Dutchy357
12-09-2016, 09:07
Recently KnifeKnut put up a post about his ADF Issue Victorinox multi tool.

I thought I should introduce members to the Schrade Multi Tool Australian Defence Force Model No ST1NB-AUS which is the other Multi Tool that has been issued to diggers of recent times.

31152 31151

I have two in my collection. One is MIB the other has seen service in East Timor. The used one that I have is unserviceable. The jaws were burred trying to cut some wire and they are now hard to separate. The hook and loop fastener on the pouch is pretty crappy and no longer grips either.

These MT's are not well liked by the diggers and are considered to be a POS. They do not exude quality. Quite the reverse. You can see that the markings are not stamped in to the tool but are painted on and wear off quickly.

Diggers that I have spoken to have informed me that most of the blokes issued with one of these throws it aside and buys a Leatherman. Although one digger did say that he found the MT useful whenever he had to get a wire arial up high in to a tree to improve coms, that the MT was tied on to the wire to throw up in the tree because if it got snagged and lost it was no big deal.

This MT is not to be confused with the original Schrade Tough Tool produced before the company collapsed and the name was sold off. The originals are evidently quite a good tool. This is a "Shanghai Schrade", made in China for the lowest cost. Whoever authorised the purchase of these certainly did not test them out.

Slotted
12-09-2016, 09:58
What and insult to our fighting men, how dare they issue this???
Why arent we producing our own much better versions i politely wonder in Australia built for Australians, this is shameful frankly, however, i very much appreciate you posting this and alerting us to it.
Makes my blood boil, our forces need the best, not the worst, arrghh its disgraceful the admin who approved this should be keel hauled, drawn and quartered and tarred and feathered. Then punished for it.

Bat in Boots
12-09-2016, 10:13
Completely agree , ....same issue on another thread re: defence force clothing :mad:

Slotted
13-09-2016, 14:17
I hope our armed forces get together and make a HUGE complaint about this, someone in admin is pocketing the $$$-difference i bet!!

Way too much corruption nonsense creeping into Aus political culture, we need to clean these devious peoples up & out seriously.

Imagine the situation when some adf has to rely on something like this and someone gets hurt because it FAILS??

Its up to us as Australians of all cultural ethnic backgrounds to come together and hold those who use deception or poor management to account, if good people do nothing.......

I heard on the radios today, there going to spend 160millions on some gay marriage plebiscite,

ARE YOU KIDDING ME-

That needs to go to hospitals, homeless, schools etc etc, unbelieveable waste of tax payers moneys. fuming!!!

Sorry for rant, wish i knew how to do more about this.

But this is so "un Australian"!!!

KnifeKnut
13-09-2016, 15:30
It gets worse (believe it or not). My Nephew recently completed basic training and is now doing his bit for the Reserves. Talking to him about his kit (and what knife he was issued), he whips out that Godaweful thing!

When I offered him one of the quality Victorinox tools, he said that at this (non rank?) level, they are not allowed to have any equipment that wasn't directly issued to him. So he would get into huge trouble if he was to carry the Victorinox - even though it's an ADF issued item, it wasn't issued to HIM...

matt009au
13-09-2016, 15:44
Such a shame. Govt procurement process is about getting best value for money. Unfortunately, lazy public servants usually just go for the cheapest in order to avoid the paperwork justifying anything else on qualitative means.
It gets worse (believe it or not). My Nephew recently completed basic training and is now doing his bit for the Reserves. Talking to him about his kit (and what knife he was issued), he whips out that Godaweful thing!

When I offered him one of the quality Victorinox tools, he said that at this (non rank?) level, they are not allowed to have any equipment that wasn't directly issued to him. So he would get into huge trouble if he was to carry the Victorinox - even though it's an ADF issued item, it wasn't issued to HIM...

gajinoz
13-09-2016, 16:13
The son of a mate of mine is in the airforce, recently promoted to flying officer. Must ask him what he thinks of whatever he's been issued.

Mark Sinclair
13-09-2016, 20:55
Seeing this sort of junk issued to our troops annoys the hell out of me :mad: , worst part is they are more than likely charged for a replacement when needed .

For a lesson in survival the office jocks should be made to dig a trench with a wooden tea spoon to try and gain an understanding of what is actually needed in the field.

Schrade
13-09-2016, 21:31
This is the US made Schrade Multi Tools, made before they closed down... Ken.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/app.php/gallery/image/8963/medium
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/app.php/gallery/image/4127/medium

Slotted
13-09-2016, 21:41
gajinoz;

Please do ^^^:thup:

Dutchy357
24-10-2017, 16:50
A few months ago I was contacted by the supplier of these Multitools.

He was obviously disappointed at my comments about the MultiTool on my web page (http://www.australianmilitaryknives.com/multitool.html#schrade). It was pointed out that my information was incorrect and that the Multi Tool came with a lifetime warranty. I was also informed that they have never heard any complaints or had any of the MultiTools returned.

I have checked with some serving members to see if they could throw some light on the subject. The feedback I got was that there was no knowledge of the Warranty at unit level. I doubt that anyone has taken the trouble to raise a RODUM on the Multitool as these take a lot of time and effort to write up. I guess in the overall scheme of things that the Multitool is considered a relatively insignificant item. It seems that the faulty Multitools are simply replaced as I suspected and the faulty one is just written off. As a result no information is coming back to the supplier, which in turn means that they do not get an opportunity to pass this information on to the manufacturer to rectify the problems.

As a result I have added the following information to my web page:

I have recently been informed that the Schrade multitool is "supplied with a LIFETIME warranty to the ADF". It may well be that this fact has not been passed on to the soldiers so issued. This being the case, any soldier who has one of these multitools that has failed him, should hand it in for replacement.

I can only hope that the faulty items are eventually returned to the supplier so that known deficiencies can be rectified.

Please pass this information on to any serving member of the ADF who you have contact with who is dissatisfied with these MultiTools

Dutchy

098steve
25-10-2017, 14:36
I was issued one quite a few years ago before going to the Middle East and it never came out of the box because I refuse to carry any MT other than Leatherman. I do see a lot of guys with these on their kit but it is mostly the admin guys who just have it on there for looks. As for the lifetime warranty, that's not really an issue because the Army has a one-for-one policy with most kit...if it breaks, take it back to the Q store and they will replace it. The problem is that when you are in the middle of nowhere it is a long way to the nearest Q store so you need reliable kit that works first time every time. These things are junk and if it fails in the field then a lifetime warranty is about as useful as pockets in jocks.

Retroject
25-10-2017, 15:02

Saw plenty of these in the sandy parts. Fortunately I had a Victorinox already, so I didn't get one of these crappy things.
It was funny though, people kept borrowing my MT instead of using their own.

If the Victorinox was issued, you got to keep it and not return it for re-issue of the Schade crap. I even bought one when I got out I liked it that much.

I think your nephew would find that if joined the ARA instead of the choco's he could pretty much use whatever gear he liked in the field - as long as the original equipment was used for inspections.
I know alot of choco units though which have standing orders regarding personal equipment. Most of these though are pog units, and it always comes from someone who's never actually used their equipment for longer than a week or two at a time.

Dutchy357
25-10-2017, 20:06
I was issued one quite a few years ago before going to the Middle East and it never came out of the box because I refuse to carry any MT other than Leatherman. I do see a lot of guys with these on their kit but it is mostly the admin guys who just have it on there for looks. As for the lifetime warranty, that's not really an issue because the Army has a one-for-one policy with most kit...if it breaks, take it back to the Q store and they will replace it. The problem is that when you are in the middle of nowhere it is a long way to the nearest Q store so you need reliable kit that works first time every time. These things are junk and if it fails in the field then a lifetime warranty is about as useful as pockets in jocks.

Hi Steve

Thank you for your comment.

I hear what you say! I certainly concur. When you are tramping around in the weeds you want kit that works!

The failure that I see here is that the Q staff have just binned these on return. If a RODUM had been raised every time a faulty MT was returned then either of two things would have happened.
1. The information would have been passed on to the supplier, who in turn would have advised the manufacturer who would have then addressed the short comings of the MT or risk losing further business with the ADF.
2. The higher ups would have decided to source alternative MT's.

It seems like it is an issue that many know about, but none have done anything about!

Dutchy

098steve
25-10-2017, 20:36
Hi Steve

Thank you for your comment.

I hear what you say! I certainly concur. When you are tramping around in the weeds you want kit that works!

The failure that I see here is that the Q staff have just binned these on return. If a RODUM had been raised every time a faulty MT was returned then either of two things would have happened.
1. The information would have been passed on to the supplier, who in turn would have advised the manufacturer who would have then addressed the short comings of the MT or risk losing further business with the ADF.
2. The higher ups would have decided to source alternative MT's.

It seems like it is an issue that many know about, but none have done anything about!

Dutchy

Hi Dutchy,

I reckon you are right to a point but, as always, there is more to it than that. Like I said, I never even took mine out of the box. A few other blokes had already been issued them by the time I got mine and they had already come to the conclusion that these things just weren't going to cut it (pun intended). Added to that, I already had my leatherman which had proved itself time and again so I just threw the Schrade in a box and forgot about it. I suspect most other infantrymen, Engineers and anybody who relies on their MT did the same. For the average admin waller, they only need a multitool to cut the odd bit of hootchie cord and if things get really tough, to open a box of CRP (rations). The Schrade is up to that task but not much more. So the admin wallers never break any because they only use them for light tasks and the grunts and others who need real tools buy the stuff that they know they can rely on. Consequently, there's probably only one or two of these things that have ever been broken. I'm simplifying things of course but that's the way I reckon it has all come about. BTW, for the record, the Army has some great kit and I'm not knocking "the system" but sometimes that's just the way it is.