PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Steel Products First Pattern Utility Knife in superb condition.

Dutchy357
15-03-2017, 21:39
Hi Guys

Here is a superb example of the Greg Steel first pattern Utility Knife.

This was acquired by a US based collector recently.

I would just like to share it with you and some of the comments that it generated among a group of collectors.

This is a superb example of this knife and also has a Military Acceptance which shows that it was an issue item. How many and to whom we do nor know. It was suspected that theses knives probably found their way in to services as Private Purchase items. However, this one was defintley an issue item and changes some previously held opinions.

Hello my Aussie friends,

I have just picked up a Gregsteel AAUK and Goldseal sheath that I thought that I would never find. Please see the attached photo.

Do you think this one to be the first production of the AAUK’s?

Oh My God!

That is a superb example!! Everyone I know will be envious of you. Starting with me! Especially me!

Yes, I do believe that is the early Greg Steel version of the Utility Knife. This was probably a Greg Steel pattern and may have even been pre war. I think the handle design was simplified to make production quicker and cheaper. The simplified design then became the standard pattern. The sheath is a different pattern to the one I have seen with these knives previously and is more like the sheath that came with the later version of the AAUK. Perhaps a transition stage in the design.

There is a relic knife (https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL38434/)that is in the AWM collection that the prisoners had in Changi. I am confident this the same pattern as yours. For the knife to have been in a soldiers possession prior to leaving Australia it must have been made in 1941 or earlier. I suspect it would have been private purchase.

I have attached a photo of the Gregsteel AAUK beside a Gregsteel V44. The handles were attached with the same split nut, same wood and similar brass guards. I would think that with these similarities, that the two knives would have been made during the same time period.

The Gregsteel AAUK came with the Goldseal sheath that is dated 1942. Most all other AAUK sheaths are dated 1943-44. The sheaths with the wire belt hook would have most likely come after the US began buying the AAUK’s to enable them to attach to their ammo and pistol belts. Did the Aussies use the same wire belt hooks at the US?

That's an awesome discovery. Never seen one like it in the years that I've been looking at Australian fighting knives.

The handle and the way it's mated to the blade look very similar to the French WWI Model 1916 Avenger knife:

http://www.collectarea.com/shop/ww1-french-fighting-knife-scabbard/

https://www.collegehillarsenal.com/shop/product.php?productid=1349

I think that if it was an early model, there would be a number of them around.

I would be more incline to say (and I HATE this term!) that it may be a prototype.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL38434/

I think so

2/15th Field Regiment - On 29 July the regiment left Sydney, on board the troop ship Katoomba, for overseas service. The Katoomba was part of a convey taking the 27th Brigade to Malaya. The vessel arrived in Singapore on 15 August.
Maybe he purchased his knife (an other one I have seen have no D^D) or issued.

Great knife.

Not sure I get the connection between Bill's knife and the 2/15th Field Regt.

Also surely this is an issue knife as it has inspection marks both on crossguard and sheath.

Regards

The connection is that a knife that is most certainly this pattern is in the AWM collection and is attributed to a Sgt J Croft who was captured by the Japanese in Singapore and imprisoned in Changi. Croft was a member of the 2/15 Field Regt. For him to have had the knife in his possession he must have acquired it in Australia before he left in July 1941. It was most likely a Private Purchase item. So this pattern knife must have been in production in 1941. This was probably a Greg Steel pattern. I think it was the basis of the Australian Army Utility Knife (AAUK). The handle design was simplified to make production quicker and cheaper. The simplified design then became the standard pattern. The sheath is a different pattern to the one I have seen with these knives previously and is more like the sheath that came with the later version of the AAUK. Perhaps a transition stage in the design.

While the records are far from complete, to date there has been no reference to sheath knives being purchased for the Military prior to 1942. These "sheath knives" are suspected to be the AAUK.

Hi Bill
Congratulations your item it is the cleanest I have seen .Over my years of collecting I have only seen 5 or 6 .As far as being a first production I do not know. There is a lot of assumptions going around but we cannot write history on that.

Veeeery nice example Bill. And with fully marked sheath too. Who's a clever boy!
Could not say re production timing - no remaining records indicate when these were made.

Please feel free to comment on this knife

Dutchy

lobby
16-03-2017, 19:38
Don't forget its little clip point brother!
This knife is likely a commercial version but has the same handle and cross guard design. The construction and use of materials is also identical.http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/lobbm/8a768e6edd71e8313b4530086a131c1d_zpsuohyudjt.jpg
Lobby