PDA

View Full Version : Artillery shells?

Smokescreen
05-06-2018, 08:58
Hi Gents,
I picked up these two artillery shells around ten years ago off a chap who was simplifying his collection. I have no idea what they are. Any ideas?
They are brass, around 230mm long, 76mm across where the projectile would seat and 96mm across the base.

http://www.fototime.com/495C9EF35D13F8B/standard.jpg

Knives 4 Africa
05-06-2018, 09:07
Looks like Howitzer ammo - got a pic of the base markings?

Smokescreen
05-06-2018, 09:16
No markings on them whatsoever K4A.

They don't actually look that old, I'm guessing post WW2.

Retroject
05-06-2018, 09:27
230mm x 76 mm - sounds like a naval gun to me, not AA or GA.

Knives 4 Africa
05-06-2018, 09:45
From a ROF 76mm L23A1 platform - Scorpion or Cougar armoured car/tank

Overall length ... 231mm (9.115inches)
Base diameter ... 96.6mm (3.085 inches)
Mouth diameter ... 78mm (3.074 inches)
Mouth diameter (internal) ... 75.5mm (2.98 inches)
Weight (empty cartridge case) ... maximum 1.3kg (2lb 14oz)... minimum (1.2kg (2lb 10oz 10dr)
The primer hole in the base of the case is counterbored and threaded to receive the No. 15 percussion primer.

Poleaxe
05-06-2018, 10:16
From a ROF 76mm L23A1 platform - Scorpion or Cougar armoured car/tank

Also the Saladin armoured car and the Australian M113A1 Fire Support Vehicle which had a Saladin turret and served in Vietnam

Also the later Australian M113A1 Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle which had a Scorpion turret.

My dad had a couple of those, he served on a Fire Support Vehicle in Vietnam

Smokescreen
05-06-2018, 13:19
I reckon you've nailed it K4A & Poleaxe!
The measurements you've posted are spot on.
Thanks for that!

Knives 4 Africa
05-06-2018, 13:57
Glad I could help :cool:

I reckon you've nailed it K4A & Poleaxe!
The measurements you've posted are spot on.
Thanks for that!

Dutchy357
16-06-2018, 17:54
Hi Guys

Looks like you got the answer thanks to K4A and Poleaxe.

I asked a friend who is a cartridge collector and he has just got back to me with this:

The cartridge cases pictured are 76MM ARMDC (Armoured Car) used in the Saladin armoured car turret gun. This turret was also fitted to certain M113 APC in the Australian Army & called a FSV (Fire Support Vehicle). This vehicle being used in the Vietnam war. The cartridges you show were probably made in Australia & taken from the production line before being finished therefore no ID stampings on the base. I have seen quite a few of these & have 1 in my collection also. They are post WWII, most I have seen have been made in the 1960s.

Regards Dutchy

Smokescreen
18-06-2018, 13:55
Interesting, thanks for the feedback Dutchy.

Smokescreen
29-06-2018, 14:13
I was given this last week, an old 20 pounder shell cut down as an ashtray. A nice pick up.

http://www.fototime.com/4A74EDAF0F838DD/standard.jpg

kiwisailor
09-11-2018, 13:11
Hi Guys

Looks like you got the answer thanks to K4A and Poleaxe.

I asked a friend who is a cartridge collector and he has just got back to me with this:

The cartridge cases pictured are 76MM ARMDC (Armoured Car) used in the Saladin armoured car turret gun. This turret was also fitted to certain M113 APC in the Australian Army & called a FSV (Fire Support Vehicle). This vehicle being used in the Vietnam war. The cartridges you show were probably made in Australia & taken from the production line before being finished therefore no ID stampings on the base. I have seen quite a few of these & have 1 in my collection also. They are post WWII, most I have seen have been made in the 1960s.

Regards Dutchy
Correct.
They were in use Until AT LEAST 1984 when I got out of Cavalry Unit in Aussie.
Fired a few off at Tank School in Puckapunyl.
Scorpion (British) Turret on M113 APC which of course was no longer a APC due to Turret.
Quite effective and could even be fired Fore and Aft when vehicle was Floating (theoretically) but NOT when traversed across vehicle as it would roll over..
The Scorpion Turret was a Aussie idea and reputedly the best part of the Scorpion as the Armoured vehicle itself was called a" piece of sh1t" by some of our Guys who operated them in Germany.

Australia also put the Smaller Turret (can't remember from which vehicle) on the M113 APC with a Browning .30 cal on Left and a 50. cal on right side.
Electrically fired, and manual traverse. GREAT system.
My Crewy and I connected up 1200 round belt on 50 cal one time and let rip. (100 rds per box)
I had to crawl back from Drivers position and feed the Belt up as it was too heavy for the Gun to pull up by itself for first 500 or so rounds.

Strangely enough, we had a Pheasant fly up from our right (must have been there all along)
Crew Commander traversed left and tried to shoot it mid air. Every 5th round was a tracer. Standard belt load. 1x trace, 2x Ball,1x AP, then 1x Ball.
I was back in seat at time as the fumes where so bad and I could see the rounds going down barrel (red hot) and gun was in runaway mode.
This is when rounds spontaneously combust in breach and the only way to stop Gun is for either one of us to reach down approx. a foot and break belt.
Too close and it would drag one's hand into feed slide.

He missed the pheasant by the way.:facepalm:
That cost us a few beers.. the rest of our troop was watching and couldn't believe what was happening.
They had expended ammo long before us.:nono:

Question, "how many rounds does it take to shoot down a Pheasant?
Answer 1201 plus at least 1x round of beers ! :very_drunk:

Tarrabah
09-11-2018, 14:08
Strangely enough, we had a Pheasant fly up from our right (must have been there all along)
Crew Commander traversed left and tried to shoot it mid air. Every 5th round was a tracer. Standard belt load. 1x trace, 2x Ball,1x AP, then 1x Ball.
I was back in seat at time as the fumes where so bad and I could see the rounds going down barrel (red hot) and gun was in runaway mode.
This is when rounds spontaneously combust in breach and the only way to stop Gun is for either one of us to reach down approx. a foot and break belt.
Too close and it would drag one's hand into feed slide.

He missed the pheasant by the way.:facepalm:
That cost us a few beers.. the rest of our troop was watching and couldn't believe what was happening.
They had expended ammo long before us.:nono:

Question, "how many rounds does it take to shoot down a Pheasant?
Answer 1201 plus at least 1x round of beers ! :very_drunk:After a Singaporean ship sank off the NSW coast(shipping lanes), we opened up on the crap left floating with the .50:cool:, when one muppet got his turn, an Albatross had flown in during the changeover, and this d!%#&ed started tracking it with the .50:mad:, whether it was whatever shred of sense he had left, dumb luck, or the angry bloke behind him with the large knife, dunno'?, but fortunately, he didn't pull the trigger, a pheasant on the other hand:clap:.

Also had a skipper, who on deployments, would sit on the bridge wing with MY friggen SLR:twoslap:, and shoot flying fish, he actually wasn't a bad shot, for an..officer:pirate:.