PDA

View Full Version : The Unknown Soldier.

Smokescreen
13-06-2018, 11:39
A few years ago I bought this framed picture of a soldier at the Westbury second hand shop for $10. It seemed a shame to leave him there all alone so the digger came home with me. There are no identifying details to confirm who he was or where he came from but I expect he was a local Tasmanian WW1 enlistee.

http://www.fototime.com/93A3BA8EF4F6EDD/standard.jpg

Retroject
14-06-2018, 09:42
Might be a silly question, have you tried taking it out of the frame and seeing if there is any identification on the back? Good to see he won't be left behind.

Smokescreen
14-06-2018, 10:43
Not a silly question Retro. Someone beat me to it. There's no backing to the pic or frame. I was hoping for maybe a name, photographer or framers label but nothing.
I even gave the pic to a former soldier active in the local RSL nearby where I found it in the hope of someone recognising the fellow but still no luck.

Tarrabah
14-06-2018, 11:23
I wonder if it would be worth emailing the pic to the AWM? https://www.awm.gov.au/advanced-search

Smokescreen
14-06-2018, 12:57
Good suggestion Tarrabah, I contacted them previously and they suggested I search their database. I've actually been through the AWM site, they have an area dedicated to all the photos of soldiers on their records. It is far from a complete photographic list but there's a lot there. Took me days to go through with no success.

I've actually thought of contacting the local Examiner newspaper to do a story.They're likely to reach the people who might recognise the face, I'm thinking elderly people in old peoples homes etc. But you know the drill, I'd end up with my name or pic in the paper and I'd prefer to keep it low key if you know what I mean.

Tarrabah
16-06-2018, 11:03
Any chance you can take a front on photo?, I'll show the pic to the Old man and his RSL mates, and give the rissole a copy, also, this being Tassie:cool:, you'd probably stand a good chance of getting Murph from Southern Cross to show the pic during the weather?:thup: